Monday, September 20, 2004

Pine Mountain

On the weekend, the Yeppoon Venturers went on a trip up Pine Mountain, a Volcanic Plug about 20 Minutes away from Yeppoon.

The trip was a light-weight camp, which basically in South Australian terms roughly translates to an over-night hike, except sleeping under the stars/tarp instead of in a tent. Though, being a stubborn South Aussie, I used my tent. Which actually worked out well since it turns out there are a few mozzies up there, which is strange since (a) we camped on top of a hill, and (b) there's no water there (or anywhere).

Anyway, the Venturers and I were to hike up the mountain from the south-west, while the Scout Troop walked in from the north-west, and we were supposed to surprise them at the top near on of the saddles. It took us around 1 1/2 hours to reach the saddle, walking through some reasonably rough scrub, and the occasionaly scramble up 45 degree rock slopes, but we made it to the top without any real dramas.

After reaching the top we were supposed to 'play around' with the campsite and make it a little scary for the Scouts. A Pentagram and a Chalk Body Outline later, and we were set to go. Unfortunately for us, the real campsite was a few hundred meters away, and in between was about 60m of cliff. Since it was dark at the time, and two of the guys had forgotten torches, we chose not to scale it in the dark!

After an attempt to go around, which was aborted since it basically required us to go all the way down the mountain, and the back up, we radioed the Scouts and let them know that we wouldn't be joining them until the morning.

We all had various bit's and pieces for dinner. I had a curry I'd had frozen in the freezer for a few months, and the other guys had various combinations of spaghetti and pasta. We had a few games of cards, and a chat around the fire and eventually went to bed.

That morning, we woke up, and made our way up to the top of the mountain, via some slightly exposed, though very easy cliff, and met the Scouts at the top for a couple of going-up ceremonies. Congratulations to Rohan, our newest official Venturer!

After admiring the view for a while, and doing a bit of bird/hawk watching, we joined the Scouts and made our way back down the mountain.

All in all it was a great walk, and could easily be done in 3-4 hours, with a pretty amazing view from the top.

Photo's coming as soon as I can get my website to play nice!


Post a Comment

<< Home